The City levies an income tax on the earned income of all residents, the net profits of all businesses located in the City, and the wages of all individuals who work in the City.
• The City’s tax rate is 1%, with a credit for taxes paid to your work community of ½% up to 1%.
• This tax is administered and collected by the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA).
• Residents who anticipate an annual income tax liability of $50 or more after withholding are required to make quarterly estimated payments. Estimated payments are due by April 30, July 31, October 31 and January 1 following the end of the tax year.
• The deadline for filing a tax return is April 15th.
• New residents should contact RITA upon moving into the City to register for tax forms and estimated billing.
Please contact RITA with questions concerning your municipal income tax.
Property tax is administered and collected by Cuyahoga County.
• The estimated property taxes due in 2019 can be calculated by multiplying the market value of the residential property by 2.56%. As an example, a home valued at $100,000 would pay approximately $2,560 annually.
• To obtain information on the assessed valuation of your property, how to pay your taxes, and answers to any other property tax questions, contact the Cuyahoga County Fiscal office at https://fiscalofficer.cuyahogacounty.us/ or 216-443-7010.
• Property taxes paid by a Mayfield Heights homeowner are distributed as follows:
o 12.19% - City of Mayfield Heights
o 61.28% - Mayfield Heights School District
o 23.77% - Cuyahoga County
o 2.76% - Library
The County Fiscal Officer and Treasurer are responsible for determining property value, maintaining all property records, billing and collecting property taxes for all governments in the County. Property taxes are billed by the County semi-annually and are normally due in January and July each year.
There are several other taxes levied by the City of Mayfield Heights.
The City levies a 5% admissions tax upon every person who pays an admissions charge.
An admissions charge may include a charge for season tickets or subscriptions, a cover charge or a charge for the use of seats or tables. Additional information can be found in the City’s Codified Ordinances, (place link to Chapter 791 here).
Motor Vehicle Tax
There is a $5 annual tax per motor vehicle registered in the City. The tax is collected as part of the annual vehicle registration at the State of Ohio, Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The revenues from this tax help fund road maintenance in the City.
Transient Guest Tax
There is a 3% tax levied on the amount paid for the lodging in a hotel in the City by a person considered a transient guest in that hotel.
Additional information can be found in the City’s Codified Ordinances, (place link to Chapter 795 here).